Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Community Service in Latvia



In Latvia, we were asked to paint a wall in one of the classrooms. After 6 hours of replicating bricks using sponges and rough outlines, you can imagine how disheartening it was to hear that it needed brightening up: Few of us had an idea of how to do such until Amber suggested vines and flowers, bees and butterflies. She handed me a paintbrush and for the next two days made it my personal mission to make the brick wall as "child friendly" as possible. Having something specific I could do to put my own stamp on the project made the experience that much more special. I dream of coming back in twenty years to be able to say "I painted those flowers and vines and everyday since then they have put smiles on the children."
-Lauren O.

No comments: