Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Trip of a Lifetime...

Estonia check... Latvia check... and a trip of a lifetime remembered forever. I could not have imagined the actions played out and the at time overwhelming emotions that I didn't and felt through these past ten days. Working as a group in Estonia we accomplished the unpacking and reorganizing of clothes and other necessities to give to the elderly. We met with the incredible men/women who were present during the Holocaust and patiently waited for their unique stories of the past. In Latvia, once again we worked together to get a school painted and decorated for the awaiting Jewish students in the community. Painting a mural of Israel not only brought color to the school but hopefully a new light to the students who attend. During these past days I have felt nearly every emotion and gained a perspective, which has changed my life forever. I connected with people in a way that I never thought was possible, a connection stronger then I ever thought. the trip is over but for me and several others, this trip has ignited a fire within us. a burning need to continue on the path of restoring the Jewish community and as well as being an active member of it. We cannot forget the past, for it is the only way in which we can continue our active Jewish life.
-Alissa

No comments: